PHOTO: Laura Masi (Sales & Marketing) hugs DiMarzio Pickups' Steve Blucher backstage at Misha Mansoor's Summer Slaughter 2013 Tour. She will be your guide when ordering an instrument, managing finances and scheduling. Email Laura directly: email@example.com
Rick Toone hands build each guitar from rough sawn wood to final finish, including assembly and set-up. Each one is a unique piece of art.
Bart Townsend provides the beautifully machined aerospace-grade components from patented designs Rick created.
I. Limited Production
Serious machines designed and built for professional recording and touring. Featuring TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system, including Element™ neck. Designed and machined in USA.
• 'Luna' model 6-string semi-hollow guitars begin at $7,500 (US) including waterproof SKB iSeries ATA case and custom Ultimate Support Systems stand.
• 'S2' model 6-string guitars begin at $6,000 (US) including waterproof SKB iSeries ATA case and custom Ultimate Support Systems stand.
Designs include features most requested by clients, as well as technologies I've been developing in vibration capture, and ergonomics. Wood choices include sustainable North American species. Finish options are available.
The guitars are 'limited production' in the sense that they are similar in design specification, but they are definitely not mass produced, subcontracted, or built in a factory. I build each instrument myself. Your guitar will be specific to you and unlike any other.
NOTES: 6-string guitars only at this time. Client pays shipping. Please email for details.
Interesting prototypes built between client commissions. Pre-owned instruments belonging to a client who is having me build something new. Limited production runs of a particular machine. Here's what is currently available:
• Luna 6-String Semi-Hollow Guitar [SOLD] — Figured crotch American Walnut & Swamp Ash TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system including Element™ machined neck. SKB iSeries waterproof custom flight case. $7,500 plus shipping.
• Black Dove 6-String Guitar [SOLD] — Premium quartersawn curly maple neck and body with swamp ash substrate. Gorgous hand-rubbed antiqued finish. Ebony fretboard and accents throughout. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb calibrated set. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. Calzone custom ATA flight case with black plush lining. $7,700 plus shipping.
• Orchid | Vintage Jazz [SOLD] — Traveled with Evan Brewer on 2012 tour and used to record his second solo album 2013. Fully restored and refinished. EMG-JAX active pickups with 18-volt modification. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. $5,000 plus shipping.
• Sketch 7-String Guitar [SOLD] — Original prototype built for Tosin Abasi. Traveled with Tosin on 2011 Animals As Leaders tour. Veteran of NAMM 2012. Fully restored to perfect fighting trim, and ready for immediate professional use studio or stage. Phenomenal sounding and playing guitar. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb ceramic magnet pickup. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system. $6,000 plus shipping.
III. Bespoke Luthier
Each instrument Rick creates is designed, fitted to you, then hand built to meet your specific needs as a musician. This is a time and labor intensive process, performed by Rick to the limit of his art: "An instrument will only leave the shop after I am fully confident it is an integrated, functional organism."
I wasn't sure how this could work, with just email. But the template felt good, and here it is...it worked. (Orchid) is just amazing.
Rick welcomes exciting challenges.
The nature of our collaboration is intense, detailed, and openly documented for clear communication. Every aspect of your instrument will be known to you, based intimately on your needs as a musician.
Rick can travel to you as necessary to ensure perfect service. You may travel to visit his shop, by appointment. Excellent local accommodations are available.
PHOTOS: Corey Brown visits the shop for a test fit, mid-construction. Corey poses with his completed Orchid bass during www.notreble.com interview.