PHOTO: Laura Masi (Sales & Marketing) hugs DiMarzio Pickups' Steve Blucher backstage at Misha Mansoor's Summer Slaughter 2013 Tour. Laura will be your guide when ordering an instrument, managing payment and scheduling.
UPDATE: October, 2014
In October, 2014, I will be relocating from New Jersey to Waco, Texas. Bart Townsend and I are combining talents to bring some of these guitar designs to a production level, at a different price point. For the past several years, we have dreamed of finding ways to get them into more guitarist's hands.
Into your hands.
I can't do that alone. So I am incredibly excited to be spearheading a team to achieve this goal. Bart already heads an aerospace machine shop with leading edge CNC capabilities and skilled machinists.
I'm looking for focused motivated individuals to contribute your talents. If you can see yourself joining our mission, please email me. Our team will be lean, fast, and passionate.
The goal of production is to create a system larger than just myself, capable of creating guitars without my physical touch, freeing me to continue to explore.
I will personally continue building bespoke & custom instruments, for both my private clients and also to serve as production R&D. I need (and thrive on) the creative challenges of working directly with you, or from my imagination.
I'm right here, even during this transition. Reach out at any time.
Rick Toone | Luthier
New Jersey & Texas
A. Currently Available
Including interesting prototypes built between client commissions. Pre-owned instruments belonging to a client who is having me build something new. Limited production runs of a particular machine. Here is what is currently available:
• T2 | Sunburst [SOLD] — Completed 9/2014 and ready to ship. I would love to locate a player who can give this machine significant visibility: onstage, via videos, or both. Options include Anthology leather gig bag and custom Ultimate Support guitar stand. Email me and let's discuss. Update: SOLD. $8,000 plus shipping.
• S2 | Longrifle [SOLD] — Learn more about this guitar. Nearing completion 7/2014. Email for pricing options and details. Update: SOLD. $10,750 plus shipping.
• S2 | Vintage Semi-Hollowbody Claro Walnut [SOLD] — This exquisite machine is available 3/2014. Multiple case options. Email Laura Masi if you are interested in purchasing the guitar. Update: SOLD. $6,850 plus shipping.
• Luna 6-String Semi-Hollow Guitar [SOLD] — Figured crotch American Walnut & Swamp Ash TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system including Element™ machined neck. SKB iSeries waterproof custom flight case. $7,500 plus shipping.
• Black Dove 6-String Guitar [SOLD] — Premium quartersawn curly maple neck and body with swamp ash substrate. Gorgous hand-rubbed antiqued finish. Ebony fretboard and accents throughout. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb calibrated set. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. Calzone custom ATA flight case with black plush lining. $7,700 plus shipping.
• Orchid | Vintage Jazz [SOLD] — Traveled with Evan Brewer on 2012 tour and used to record his second solo album 2013. Fully restored and refinished. EMG-JAX active pickups with 18-volt modification. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. $5,000 plus shipping.
• Sketch 7-String Guitar [SOLD] — Original prototype built for Tosin Abasi. Traveled with Tosin on 2011 Animals As Leaders tour. Veteran of NAMM 2012. Fully restored to perfect fighting trim, and ready for immediate professional use studio or stage. Phenomenal sounding and playing guitar. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb ceramic magnet pickup. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system. $6,000 plus shipping.
B. Bespoke & Custom
The antidote to production guitars. Each of us is a unique individual, with hands and posture and body ratio dimensions unlike anyone else. I can help.
Every instrument I create is designed, fitted to you, then built to meet your specific needs as a human and a musician. This is a time and labor intensive process, performed by me to the limit of my art.
Shapes, contours, chambering, electronics to meet your aesthetic and tonal preferences. Pricing depends on options and configuration. Wood choices include sustainable species. Finish options are available. Guitars only, at this time.
I wasn't sure how this could work, with just email. But the template felt good, and here it is...it worked. (Orchid) is just amazing.
I welcome exciting challenges. The nature of our collaboration is intense, detailed, and openly documented for clear communication. Every aspect of your instrument will be known to you, based intimately on your needs as a musician.
I can travel to you as necessary to ensure perfect service. You may travel to visit my shop, by appointment. Excellent local accommodations are available.
PHOTOS: Corey Brown visits the shop for a test fit, mid-construction. Corey poses with his completed Orchid bass during www.notreble.com interview.