I personally hand build every instrument.
I am currently offering new creations on an instant gratification basis. Instruments from my imagination, at surprising moments. These will appear on the website as I complete them. First come, first serve.
If you want something bespoke and completely fitted to you, I do accept commissions for certain interesting projects. Some of my best instruments have resulted from collaborations with clients, or from figuring out a solution to a client's unique needs. I am always seeking to help musicians suffering from RSI.
Build times depend on component choices.
October 2015, I ended all business development collaborations. Business is now conducted only with independent sub-contractors, on an immediate cash payment basis.
Intellectual property, marketing, designs, materials methodology — including components and hardware — is exclusively owned by Rick Toone | Luthier, LLC. There are no licensing agreements with any entities.
Rick Toone | Luthier
A. Currently Available
International clients please check your local import taxes. All guitars ship via UPS, fully insured. Client pays shipping. Here is what is currently available:
• October Cherry 6-String [SOLD] — Bookmatched cherry with quarter-sawn spruce. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. Stainless steel Intonation Cantilever™ bridges. Carbon fiber pick guard. Studio grade repeatable EQ and switching. $10,000 plus shipping. Available 10/2016.
B. Selected Works
• 8-String | Ultimate Shred Machine™ [SOLD] — Exceptional highly figured salvage old growth walnut. Mahogany. Carbon fiber. $12,000 plus shipping.
• Ultimate Shred Machine™ [SOLD] — Carbon fiber, ebony, figured cherry. $10,000 plus shipping.
• Old Growth Walnut | Skele [SOLD] — Old growth crotch walnut, laminated birch, carbon fiber, stainless steel. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. $11,300 plus shipping.
• Walnut Jazz Skele [SOLD] — Deconstructed "Skele" archtop. Figured claro walnut, walnut burl. Slotted open headstock, Waverly bronze classical tuners. $11,800 plus shipping.
• SpaceX | Dragon [SOLD] — Ambrosia Maple. Chambered w/carbon fiber. Precision headless tuning. $13,500 plus shipping.
• Spearfish 6 [SOLD] — Element™ Stealth™ headstock machined neck. Swamp Ash w/nitro. $9,800 plus shipping.
• Claro Walnut Modern Archtop [SOLD] — Claro walnut. Carbon fiber. Precision headless tuning. $9,800 plus shipping.
• Old Growth Walnut 8-String [SOLD] — Old growth walnut from Princeton, New Jersey. Carbon fiber. Stainless steel. $10,000 plus shipping.
• TigerShark™ 8-String [SOLD] — Quartersawn curly maple. Modern Archtop construction. Carbon fiber. Stainless steel. $10,000 plus shipping.
• T2 | Tobaccoburst [SOLD] — Options include Anthology leather gig bag and custom Ultimate Support guitar stand. $8,000 plus shipping.
• S2 | Longrifle [SOLD] — Flame maple, aluminum, bronze. $10,750 plus shipping.
• S2 | Vintage Semi-Hollowbody Claro Walnut [SOLD] — Claro walnut, flame maple. $6,850 plus shipping.
• Luna 6-String Semi-Hollow Guitar [SOLD] — Figured crotch American Walnut & Swamp Ash TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system including Element™ machined neck. SKB iSeries waterproof custom flight case. $7,500 plus shipping.
• Black Dove 6-String Guitar [SOLD] — Premium quartersawn curly maple neck and body with swamp ash substrate. Gorgous hand-rubbed antiqued finish. Ebony fretboard and accents throughout. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb calibrated set. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. Calzone custom ATA flight case with black plush lining. $7,700 plus shipping.
• Orchid | Vintage Jazz [SOLD] — Traveled with Evan Brewer on 2012 tour and used to record his second solo album 2013. Fully restored and refinished. EMG-JAX active pickups with 18-volt modification. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. $5,000 plus shipping.
• Sketch 7-String Guitar [SOLD] — Original prototype built for Tosin Abasi. Traveled with Tosin on 2011 Animals As Leaders tour. Veteran of NAMM 2012. Fully restored to perfect fighting trim, and ready for immediate professional use studio or stage. Phenomenal sounding and playing guitar. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb ceramic magnet pickup. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system. $6,000 plus shipping.
First I have to say, I love guitars, not just playing them, but the aesthetics of them. They are all, in my opinion, musical works of art. I will spend time staring at guitar books just looking at the pictures like a kid with a Dr. Seuss book. Or hours wandering a guitar store as if I'm in a museum.
Having owned/played many guitars through the years, I have liked certain components, ie: the original (other brand) has an amazing neck, but the upper bout stabs me in the chest and the pickups are not voiced well. An (other brand) can sound growly, yet not stay in tune. Controls are in the way. An (other brand) amazing piece of wood with cheap hardware, etc.
I bought the S2 based on looks, reading your website and watching the few videos on YouTube. It's the first guitar I have ever bought before trying it. I was a tad wary that I would be stuck with a beautiful piece of art I could not play.
Taking it out of the case (pictures do not do it justice) it fits my body like a glove. The aluminum and wood, almost biomechanical. Running through a few chords and scales, the neck, perfection...smooth and effortless.
Then I plugged it in.
I have to say, in all the years I've been playing, and all the instruments I've tried or owned...your guitar is the best I have ever heard. And I have never been a fan of DiMarzio pickups (another reason I was wary). I could not believe the sounds I was getting out of it.
Your guitar is not only a work of art and precision engineering, it is a tone machine. Where the past meets the future. And I keep finding more things to love about it. The controls are quite intuitive as well. I am now a believer in fanned frets!
Thank you for thinking outside the box. Keep up the forward thinking.
PS: My wife really likes the way it looks/sounds, which is saying a lot, because she never can never tell the difference in guitar sounds. She told me it sounds like wind chimes.