I personally hand build every instrument.
I am currently offering new creations on an instant gratification basis. Instruments from my imagination, at surprising moments. These will appear on the website as completed, without prior announcement. First come, first serve basis, so email if you see something you like.
If you want something bespoke and completely fitted to you, I am accepting commissions for certain interesting projects. Some of my best instruments have resulted from collaborations with clients, or from figuring out a solution to your unique needs. I am actively seeking to help musicians suffering from RSI.
As always, I can build you a custom variation on an instrument I've previously completed. Subject to component choices and availability.
I look forward to speaking with you.
Rick Toone | Luthier
A. Currently Available
International clients please check your local import taxes. All guitars ship via UPS, fully insured. Client pays shipping. Here is what is currently available:
• Spearfish™ | Cephalopod [AVAILABLE] — Swamp ash body with cephalopod art finish. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck and Intonation Cantilever™ bridges with black anodize finish. Carbon fiber pickguard. Custom Bare Knuckle pickups wound by Tim Mills. Studio grade repeatable EQ. Japanese high performance Sanwa OBSF-24 kill switch. $11,000 plus shipping. Available 3/2017.
NOTE: Occasionally pre-owned guitars I've built will surface on the market. There are two currently available on Reverb. I am posting this information as an item of note for you. I am not affiliated with Reverb.com in any way. If you are interested in those guitars, you are welcome to email me to learn more about their history. I am not able to vouch for their current condition, however I am always willing to refurbish instruments that I've built. Please ask me any questions.
• T2 "Buckskin" — via reverb.com
• S2 "Longrifle" — via reverb.com
B. Selected Works
• Spearfish™ | Redwood & Figured Cherry [SOLD] — Figured cherry over quartersawn redwood solid body. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. Raw aluminum finish. Carbon fiber pickguard. Stainless steel Intonation Cantilever™ bridges. DiMarzio OEM pickups. Studio grade repeatable EQ. $9,200 plus shipping.
• Spearfish™ | Sunburst [SOLD] — Swamp ash solid body with burst finish. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. Black anodize finish. Carbon fiber pickguard. Stainless steel Intonation Cantilever™ bridges. DiMarzio OEM pickups. Studio grade repeatable EQ. $8,500 plus shipping.
• October Cherry [SOLD] — Bookmatched lightly figured eastern cherry with quarter-sawn spruce. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. Carbon fiber. $10,000 plus shipping.
• 8-String | Ultimate Shred Machine™ [SOLD] — Exceptional highly figured salvage old growth walnut. Mahogany. Carbon fiber. $12,000 plus shipping.
• Ultimate Shred Machine™ [SOLD] — Carbon fiber, ebony, figured cherry. $10,000 plus shipping.
• Old Growth Walnut | Skele [SOLD] — Old growth crotch walnut, laminated birch, carbon fiber, stainless steel. Element™ single billet machined aircraft aluminum neck. $11,300 plus shipping.
• Walnut Jazz Skele [SOLD] — Deconstructed "Skele" archtop. Figured claro walnut, walnut burl. Slotted open headstock, Waverly bronze classical tuners. $11,800 plus shipping.
• SpaceX | Dragon [SOLD] — Ambrosia Maple. Chambered w/carbon fiber. Precision headless tuning. $13,500 plus shipping.
• Spearfish 6 [SOLD] — Element™ Stealth™ headstock machined neck. Swamp Ash w/nitro. $9,800 plus shipping.
• Claro Walnut Modern Archtop [SOLD] — Claro walnut. Carbon fiber. Precision headless tuning. $9,800 plus shipping.
• Old Growth Walnut 8-String [SOLD] — Old growth walnut from Princeton, New Jersey. Carbon fiber. Stainless steel. $10,000 plus shipping.
• TigerShark™ 8-String [SOLD] — Quartersawn curly maple. Modern Archtop construction. Carbon fiber. Stainless steel. $10,000 plus shipping.
• T2 | Tobaccoburst [SOLD] — Options include Anthology leather gig bag and custom Ultimate Support guitar stand. $8,000 plus shipping.
• S2 | Longrifle [SOLD] — Flame maple, aluminum, bronze. $10,750 plus shipping.
• S2 | Vintage Semi-Hollowbody Claro Walnut [SOLD] — Claro walnut, flame maple. $6,850 plus shipping.
• Luna 6-String Semi-Hollow Guitar [SOLD] — Figured crotch American Walnut & Swamp Ash TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system including Element™ machined neck. SKB iSeries waterproof custom flight case. $7,500 plus shipping.
• Black Dove 6-String Guitar [SOLD] — Premium quartersawn curly maple neck and body with swamp ash substrate. Gorgous hand-rubbed antiqued finish. Ebony fretboard and accents throughout. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb calibrated set. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. Calzone custom ATA flight case with black plush lining. $7,700 plus shipping.
• Orchid | Vintage Jazz [SOLD] — Traveled with Evan Brewer on 2012 tour and used to record his second solo album 2013. Fully restored and refinished. EMG-JAX active pickups with 18-volt modification. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision bridges. $5,000 plus shipping.
• Sketch 7-String Guitar [SOLD] — Original prototype built for Tosin Abasi. Traveled with Tosin on 2011 Animals As Leaders tour. Veteran of NAMM 2012. Fully restored to perfect fighting trim, and ready for immediate professional use studio or stage. Phenomenal sounding and playing guitar. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb ceramic magnet pickup. TOONE & TOWNSEND precision tuning system. $6,000 plus shipping.
First I have to say, I love guitars, not just playing them, but the aesthetics of them. They are all, in my opinion, musical works of art. I will spend time staring at guitar books just looking at the pictures like a kid with a Dr. Seuss book. Or hours wandering a guitar store as if I'm in a museum.
Having owned/played many guitars through the years, I have liked certain components, ie: the original (other brand) has an amazing neck, but the upper bout stabs me in the chest and the pickups are not voiced well. An (other brand) can sound growly, yet not stay in tune. Controls are in the way. An (other brand) amazing piece of wood with cheap hardware, etc.
I bought the S2 based on looks, reading your website and watching the few videos on YouTube. It's the first guitar I have ever bought before trying it. I was a tad wary that I would be stuck with a beautiful piece of art I could not play.
Taking it out of the case (pictures do not do it justice) it fits my body like a glove. The aluminum and wood, almost biomechanical. Running through a few chords and scales, the neck, perfection...smooth and effortless.
Then I plugged it in.
I have to say, in all the years I've been playing, and all the instruments I've tried or owned...your guitar is the best I have ever heard. And I have never been a fan of DiMarzio pickups (another reason I was wary). I could not believe the sounds I was getting out of it.
Your guitar is not only a work of art and precision engineering, it is a tone machine. Where the past meets the future. And I keep finding more things to love about it. The controls are quite intuitive as well. I am now a believer in fanned frets!
Thank you for thinking outside the box. Keep up the forward thinking.
PS: My wife really likes the way it looks/sounds, which is saying a lot, because she never can never tell the difference in guitar sounds. She told me it sounds like wind chimes.